Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Alone in a room with a child

(Pre-Script: This poem should be read as the song, "Blackbird," #22 on the playlist, plays in the background. Go down to the playlist, click on that song, then come back and resume reading. I'll wait...)(...still waiting...)

i am alone in a room with a clock,
and the clock has large red numbers.

Scratch that, i am not alone,
a child is in the room with me,
one so small and quiet and still
you could forget she was here for
half a second. I can hardly see her in
the dark pale light, she looks like a
lump of blanket; but then she sighs
in her sleep, a giving up of the last breath
she had been holding too long,
lets it out like finally.
If only waking hours could align in such a peace.
Tonight, a separate stillness,
as i stay awake
in a room where she sleeps

-XOXO,


2 comments:

Anthony said...

Very nice, Michelle! It's very dark and vivid.

Johnny R said...

Beautiful. One of my favorites. I especially like the part, "I can hardly see her in the dark pale light, she looks like a lump of blanket", Put a smile on my face :)