Monday, January 9, 2012

Pleasure

(Pre-Script: Chew on this post while listening to the song "Big Yellow Taxi," #33 on the playlist, in the background. Go down to the playlist, click on that song, then come back and resume reading. I'll wait...)(...still waiting...)
When I saw all the people getting their cars washed on the first weekend in January, I hoped it meant rain was coming. While my tank filled, I walked into the mini mart to buy gum. This gas station/car wash is one of two places I can think of that carries my favorite gum. It used to be all over the grocery stores and Target had it in the bulk gum section, but then for some reason I am still scratching my head about, it was discontinued. Now I go out of my way to find the places that sell this particular gum so that I can hand it out to my friends and say "this is the best gum in the world, but you can't find it anywhere anymore, so I want you to have this." A few of my friends say things like "I don't really chew gum." And I think why would you not choose to live a life full of delicious gum chewing if it was in your power to live a life full of gum and gum and gum? Sugar free, of course, and you still have to brush and floss religiously. But I think saying "I don't chew gum" is about the same as saying "I don't sing in the car or in the shower." Why are people so stodgy about enhancing the simple harm free pleasures of their lives? Simple happiness rules. Here's a super fun thing to do the next time you are driving by yourself. Turn on the radio and sing along loudly. Chew gum and pop it, and blow big obnoxious bubbles while you are chewing and singing. I don't think it's possible to not be happy and endorphin rich while doing that.

-XOXO,


1 comment:

Johnny R said...

I chew gum and sing in the car n shower :)