Thursday, September 1, 2011

The weight of a thing

(Pre-Script: This poem should be read as the song, "Somewhere only we know," #20 on the playlist, plays in the background...or, if you prefer, "Fidelity," #8 on the playlist, works well with it, too. Go down to the playlist, click on that song or that song, then come back and resume reading. I'll wait...)(still waiting...)


Yesterday at the beach,

I picked up a rock I found on the shoreline.
It was not what I expected to find,
but when I held it,
I realized that
it fit inside my palm like it was a counterpoint,

fit like nothing ever had.
It was smooth and round from tumbling through salt water,
and when I wrapped my fingers
around it,
and put my hand back down by my side,
the heaviness of the rock

felt strong enough to keep me grounded,
or, at least, strong enough to keep me
from blowing away.
It's the weight of a thing that comforts you,
and the knowledge of where it has been.

-XOXO,


No comments: