Saturday, January 9, 2010

Even when I'm broken

(Pre-Script: This poem's atmosphere is best felt as the song, " Loving a Person," #1 on the playlist, plays in the background. Go down to the playlist, click on that song, then come back and read the poem. I'll wait...) (...still waiting...)

I don't want to be treated like some fragile thing you have to tread lightly around
even when I'm broken
even when I'm a heap on the floor and can't see up from down
and I'm not sure if I want to understand anything ever again
not sure if I can stand to ever look in a mirror again,
or stand to ever
hear a voice of reason again
or stand to ever
stand up again
even when everything seems bleak and hopeless but I know
that the world is still spinning around me,
and not just the world in my mind.
I don't want to be treated like a thing you whisper behind
or in front of when you don't think I realise that you are whispering in front of me
even when I look like a "before" picture,
or like I have just seen a ghost,
even when I am sure that this time my sanity is gone for good-
Treat me kind, but treat me
how you always have;
I am no more fragile than I have always been,
even if we are both just
aware of it now.
It may be that admitting it, for once, and showing it to you, for once,
has made me that much stronger, that much more aware,
that much more ready to be put back together stronger than before
so please don't treat me like some fragile thing,
even when I am broken.
(A broken thing, ready to be put back together again)

-XOXO,


No comments: