Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Since she'll only be 2 for 5.7 more seconds.

(Pre-Script: This post builds beautifully when layered with the song, "Little Wonders," #55 on the playlist, so go down to the playlist, click on that song, then come back and resume reading; I'll wait...) (...still waiting...)

Natalie and I are building block castles,
then knocking them down, over and over.
I place a wooden block where I think it fits,
and she rearranges it to match her vision
as a master architect.
Then we knock it down.
Then we build again.
She says "This is a castle for a king."
I say "Who is our king?"
thinking she will say, "Jesus." But She says "Daddy,"
and I am comforted by this.
I remember that there is laundry to fold,
I remember that there are dishes to put away,
I remember that the living room needs to be vacuumed.
Natalie remembers none of this.
So the house remains in it's varying degrees of entropy while we sit in the middle of it,
building a castle.


-XOXO,

No comments: