Sunday, February 28, 2010

Birthday, present.

(Pre-Script: This post pairs best with the song, "100 Years," #2 on the playlist, so go down to the playlist, click on that song, then come back and resume reading. I'll wait...) (...still waiting...)

Here's a head up for you: if you ever receive an invitation for a party which contains these words: "No Gifts, please," you can be sure that the party is not for me. So if you ever receive this invitation and it says it is for my birthday, then you can know with confident assurance that it was sent to you by an imposter, or my best frenemy. You can spot my best frenemy easily; when I am with this person, I emerge with a large gaping wound where the knife in my back has been twisted, and twisted again.
Hurts. But I digress.
Don't get me wrong-if y'all want to come to my (imaginary) party and bring presents, ( and no, I will never say "Your presence is the only presents I want or need") then far be it from me to stop you, AND also, I don't like you more or less based on the whether or not you bring one. But if you do bring a gift, I will be happy to receive a gift, I will feel celebrated and lavished, because let's face it, you have every other day of the year to not bring me a gift, but if you ever might maybe bring me one, today is the day. So I will take it. Thank you in advance for the moment of indulgent frivolity between you and me.
The rest of life is messy as it is, bumpy, sticky, and unpredictable. Today is my birthday, and I am just trying to stay present.
-XOXO,

No comments: