Friday, October 24, 2008

The amazing tricks of my cat Jake

Pre-script: To get the most out of this post, please read it as the song: "Sweet Pea," by Amos Lee plays. Go down to the playlist, click it on, then come back and resume reading...I'll wait...) (...still waiting...)

When I was six years old, I had a cat named Jake. He was actually my cat, since I loved him the most. Jake actually came to our house accidentally; One night, when we got home, he was just there, on our porch, with a torn collar that had no tags or other source of identification. I remember that we gave the cat some food, and low and behold, he was there the next day...and the next day...and the day after that...until finally after about a week, my parents decided we could adopt him and actually let him inside the house. I used to pick him up and carry him around like a baby. He had a magic trick that I have never seen repeated by the cat species of the world. Since Jake's food and water dishes were right next to each other, he would push one piece of his dry cat food into the water, let it soak, then pick the cat food piece up with his paw and put it in his mouth. Yes, you read that right. My cat fed himself with his paw, one piece of cat food at a time. Folks, even if you're not a cat person, you have to admit that that is a great trick. Jake was also good at sneaking onto my pillow at night and falling asleep. I would wake up in the middle of the night and my pillow would be covered by the cat...who would never leave me even a corner. Have you ever been a 6 year old trying to get your sleeping heavy cat off of your pillow in the middle of the night? If not, let me tell you, it is very, very frustrating for a child, even a child who adores her feline friend. At other times in Jakes life, he narrowly avoided certain death situations, like the bee bee gun shots that mysteriously appeared on him one day, and the time he got caught in the next door neighbors rabbit trap...the neighbor who raised and skinned rabbits and kept pigeons as we spyed over the fence from our fruitless mulberry tree...that's a whole new post...

-XOXO,

2 comments:

Deanne said...

We had a cat like that too when I was a girl....Bill The Cat found us and made us adopt him. We had no choice, and I was so glad! Bill was the perfect cat. He loved to be loved, had short hair, and came when you called him. He had a bell on his yellow collar, so I know he came from someones home, but he never left us and no one ever claimed him. I sure miss Bill, he'd be a perfect pet for my kids today. :(

Val said...

Our dog does a pretty cool trick. He figured out the ice machine in the fridge door and when he wants a piece of ice, he takes his paw and gently presses the lever and gets himself a single piece of ice. It is pretty amazing and cute to watch.