Sunday, December 28, 2008

My Eyes Are Healing

Sometimes you crack me up
in unexpected ways
and the crack begins to
hatch wide open
whatever misconceptions
I've been sitting on, incubating,
letting
light in so that i can see
a different angle of you that I
had always missed before,
another color, a different shape
or intricate pattern
in the kaleidoscope of all
your stained glass.

My eyes are healing

but last week I had a touch of pink eye
and as a result
I wore less makeup.
I was not shocked by the sight of
my own face.

He says, "You don't need to be so dramatic"
be he's wrong.
sometimes I do need
to be so,
and that girl in the mirror,
I like her, most days,
and I am not surprised
so much, any longer,
when I recognize her.
-12/28/08


-XOXO,

2 comments:

Meilei said...

I love this one. Did you really have pink eye?

Michelle said...

Yes, I really did.