Saturday, December 27, 2008

My Fairy God Mother

(Pre-script: To pair a song with this post, I tried to think 'What would Anne Lamott like?" I'm still not sure, so I'm just going have to make an executive decision..."Unwritten" by Natasha Beddingfield seems completely appropriate. Go down to the playlist, click on that song, then come back and read the post. I'll wait...) (...still waiting...)

I've been reading "Plan B Further Thoughts On Faith" by Anne Lamott. I just picked up this book on Christmas Day at my parent's house, and immediately wondered why I have never read Anne Lamott before? We were obviously meant for each other. My analysis is that she is a naturally gifted writer, natural without trying too hard, wickedly hilarious with endearing sincerity. I love her. I love her writing style. Here are a few quotes:

"...Your sick, worried mind can't heal your sick, worried mind. Well, maybe your mind is lovely and pastoral and you do not suffer from paranoia, hypochondria, a bad attitude, and delusions of victimized grandeur. That is very nice, but we don't want you in our cave after the bombs fall, you are going to annoy us to death." (pgs 129-130)

"The universe was pulling out all the stops-torrential rains and power outages for days-and it made me crazy, especially when acquaintances would enthuse about how they were enjoying the lack of electricity, how close together it was bringing their families. (Thank you for sharing but you can't be in our cave, either. You and your families will have to be in solitary, with your little board games.)" (pgs 130-131.)

"I still have terrible moments when I despair about my body-time and gravity have not made various parts of it higher and firmer. But those are just moments now-I used to have years when I believed I was more beautiful it I jiggled less, if all parts of my body stopped moving when I did. But I know two things now that I didn't at thirty: That when we get to heaven, we will discover that the appearance of our butts and our skin was 127th on the list of what mattered on this earth. And that I am not going to live forever." (pgs. 172-173.)

I plan to be at the library this week, checking out as many Anne Lamott books as I can find. I need to read up and learn, and someday, over the rainbow, in my wildest dreams, I hope HOPE HOPE to be as good of a writer as Anne Lamott. I'm just wishin', wishin' upon a star! She is like my Fairy Godmother of writing skills. That is a huge compliment from me, because I am very picky about a person's writing skills, and will not tag Fairy Godmother status on just anyone.*

-XOXO,


*In fact, I have never given any one Fairy God Mother status ever before. Although now that I think of it, Mya Angelou would be up there, too; her writing is THAT good. Mmm, Mmm, yes.

No comments: