Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Spinning around in a miracle.

(Pre-Script: This post spins and shapes you when read while listening to the song, "The End of the Innocence," #41 on the playlist, so go down to the playlist, click on that song, then come back and resume reading. I'll wait...) (...still waiting...)

Have you ever had the realization that the world is still, and you are the one who has been spinning and spinning? This happens when you finally stop spinning and are still, and for a few seconds you can see the world spinning all around you. Have you ever spent so much time with your head upside down that only after having flipped back over you realized you had been right side up all along? Talk about a head trip. What a rush!
You may find this hard to believe, but I am not an Astro Physicist, nor even have I ever been a Physics Major in college. Yet I can toss around terms like "Centrifugal Force" with deftness of equal parts dexterity and defiance. Take that, Physics professor, with love, who may never realize that I didn't just read my Physics text, I studied it until the foreign sentences written therein sounded like the words of my unconscious dreams. I studied until I felt I had a workable grasp on the concepts being expressed therein. Then I would attend class, the one in which the professor would give us pop quizzes that were supposedly on the material we had been assigned to read that week.
Blink.
Blink.
But this was definitely not the same material. What I had been studying in the book the week before was like Spanish, but the test in front of me was like Portuguese or something. How's a girl to get ahead in that situation? She cannot. I spent hour after hour in the tutoring center, attended class and lab, and all I got for it was a D- from the prof, and a red rose and date offer from my lab partner.
(It never happened.)
Blink.
Physics makes more sense to me in real life settings, where I can make up my own theorems and rules of...well, Physics. Like maybe I will never understand Astro Physics, but then my two year old mishears the word "merry go round" as "miracle" and says something like what she said yesterday, "We need to go spinning around in that miracle." and I completely understood that, right away.
So I said,"Yes, we do."
This is one of my new laws of Physics: to go spinning around inside whatever miracle in which I happen to find myself. There are 2.6 million a millisecond, yet I am lucky if I perceive of 5 in a week. So maybe I am too busy trying to spin my own circles that I need to just stop and in stillness see what has been spinning around me all along.
-XOXO,

No comments: