Sunday, March 14, 2010

Son of Seuss

(Pre-Script: This post best suited with the song, " Unwritten," #5 on the playlist, So go down to the playlist, click on that song, then come back and resume reading. I'll wait...) (...still waiting...)

I have read books that tried to imitate Dr Seuss, or sequels to books he wrote which were written by other people. They all stink. No one but Seuss can write Dr Seuss, only Dr Seuss could. That is repetitive because it bore repeating, and bears repeating still, but I will refrain. Just know I am still thinking it. No one else gets the rhythm, meter, and made up words just right. All those other imposters made up words sound like they are trying to imitate Dr Seuss and make up words. Now, I am all about the making up of words, are you kidding me, I do it all the time. The difference is I don't do it to try to be somebody else. I do it because I am trying to be me, and the only word I can use to describe the feeling or thought I am intending to convey is one that Webster has not yet listed in his vast book of words yet. This is sort of what Seuss did, too, so you see, there is a time and place for made up words, and that is when you are genuinely being yourself and are at a lack for a better word, but most certainly not when you are trying to imitate Dr. Seuss. Or me. Or anyone else.
Now, the only person who might have a genuine shot at sounding at all Dr Seuss like would be his son, if he ever did have one, and if that son had the correct DNA passed down; the "Write Like Seuss" gene, or "WLS" gene. I don't know if they have been able to exactly pinpoint that one yet. I bet if you studied Dr Seuss's DNA, it would be obvious which gene that was, I bet it sits in the middle of his genetic code in a highlighted color, and even with out the highlighted color, it would still be obvious to Genetic Code readers for it would be different from any genetic code they had ever seen. Much like the wise men who were so wise they knew what each star looked like in the sky, so they knew when a new star appeared that they had better follow that star to find baby Jesus, who wasn't such a baby after all by the time they found him.
That's all I have to say about that, except that
If Dr Seuss ever had a son, I hope he would have been named "Hey." then he would be called "Hey Seuss."
"Hey, Seuss, go get me a beer."
"Hey, Seuss, want to toss the Frisbee?"
and, most importantly:
"Hey Seuss, you don't have to live up to your father; he already lived up to himself. You just be you, okay? Hey, Seuss, you okay?"
Yeah, I say call the kid Hey Seuss.
Why, you ask?
because the name "Jesus" would be too hard to live up to.

-XOXO,


No comments: