Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Baby Bird and the Nest

(Pre-Script: This song is best paired with the song, "Blackbird," #14 on the playlist, so go down to the playlist, click on that song, then come back and resume reading. I'll wait...) (...still waiting...)

When I hear one child say to the other child, "Do you want to fly?" I get concerned. It's not that I don't believe in them, or support their dreams. It's just that I know that the metaphorical apple does not fall far from it's metaphorical tree. In this case, the metaphorical apple is My Children and Their Genetics (MCaTG), and the metaphorical tree is Me and My Genetics (MaMG). I am pretty sure that my genetics do not include an Ability To Fly (ATF) gene. Which means that my children really will fall far and hard from the actual non metaphorical tree if they attempt to fly from it. However, I have never actually studied my own DNA under a microscope, nor would I know what an ATF gene looked like were I to see it. So I can never be 100% sure. It is possible that the children are right, that they really can fly, and I am just holding them back due to conventional wisdom, and my belief in what I learned in the Physics class I took twice in Junior College. Yes, you read that correctly, I said "twice," and I still floundered.
Bite me.
Ahem.
You know, Physics class, where they teach you things like Gravity, and that it is a FORCE that pushes down on all of us here on this planet. And where they teach you that Einstein came up with all of these theories. And where they teach you that you are an idiot. And that you really don't want to date your lab partner even if he is man enough to bring you a red rose at work when you had no idea he had ever thought of you that way. So it was a lot of lessons for the agony and time of memorizing all of those formulas and crap. Or at least, writing down on notecards all of those formulas and crap and trying to remember when to apply which formula to which problem...and now that I think of it, that is the summation of all of life, what I just said right there.
Ahem.
Still, maybe the kids are correct and they really have flying abilities yet to be explored. But it is my own fear that is keeping me from letting them find out. Because the risk of them being wrong is too great of a price to pay, at least on my dime and heart medication. Let them practice their own flying skilz once they move out and can afford their own Emergency Room Bill.
-XOXO,

No comments: