Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Youniverse

(Pre-Script: This poem is brilliant when read as the song, "Superman," #9 on the playlist, plays in the background. Go down to the playlist, click on that song, then come back and resume reading. I'll wait...) (...still waiting...)

There are
brilliant spots of light
that pierce through your black unknowable sky,
but what
do they show me of the universe
that expands forever beyond them?
Once I looked up at the sky, far out to the left, I think,
at a small reddish something I could see
from the parking lot of Carl's Jr.
I was told it was Mars.
Another time, you let me look through the lens of your telescope,
pointed it up and in some direction,
spun me around,
and told me I was looking at Jupiter.
I just stood on the firm ground below us and took your word for it,
it looked like a star to me,
what could I tell from so far away-
a speck of red, or blue,
interspersed with beams
of brilliance
don't even begin to show me the beginning
of the universe inside you.

-XOXO,

No comments: