Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Burn and flow

(Pre-Script: This post best pairs best with the song, " Mysterious Ways," by U2, #24 on the playlist, so go down to the playlist, click on that song, and let it play in the background as you read this poem. I'll wait...) (...still waiting...)

The fire burning does not stand still
as it kills
as it clears
my oldest fields now turned to straw
and weed
(the dry brittle things burn first and fastest)
as it purifies and draws things out of themselves
charring
until there is nothing left to burn
no one knows what shapes will emerge from the flames
but the fire does not maintain a single form
always restlessly reaching
uncontainedly fierce
the river is that way too,
never still always pushing
at the banks
and I
am that way too
changing
screaming
burning and flowing
shape shifting shapes til
I look like what I am.

-5/20/09

-XOXO,

No comments: