Monday, March 16, 2009

Drama Mama and her pants

(Pre-Script: This post goes best with the song, "Suddenly I See," so go down to the playlist, click on that song, then come back and resume reading. I'll wait...) (...still waiting...)

First born girl child can be a lot of drama. It's encoded in her DNA. It will make her a fantastically fun grown up, the kind you want at a party, as you never know what she might do or say to liven things up or get the room laughing. Now she is only 9, though, so this can cause some kinks in the wiring. Quirks are fun and interesting in adults who have the maturity, wisdom and grace to handle them. They are not so fun in children. Children with quirks* have the tendency to come unglued without any warning what so ever. This particular child was nurtured within the safe, warm confines of my body, then safely ushered out of my body, into the world, and now lives in my house. She likes to say things like "MOM, I have NO PANTS!! I NEED PANTS, I NEED PANTS right NOW!!!" This morning, it was, "Mom, I have to wear these same pants that I slept in last night to school today, I have no other pants." I said "What about your black pants, both pairs?" She said "One pair has a hole, the other is too big, and I have to roll them, and I HATE that." So I said, "What about the pants your grandma just took you to buy last week?" she said "I liked them at the store, then brought them home and realized I don't like them." So I said, "every time I try to get you pants, you don't like any of them. If you are going to be that picky, then you can't complain when you don't have stuff." She went off to sullenly get dressed, in her nothing of a wardrobe. When she came back, I noticed the jacket she was wearing, and said, "What about the pants that go with that jacket?" She said "Oh, let me go find them."
Oh, Wicked generation, how long will I contend with you??

-XOXO,


*Children with quirks=All children, pretty much.

No comments: