Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Little Marcy and Me

(Pre-script: you just have to imagine the music that goes along with this post. I hope it's as fantastic in your mind as it is in my memory. Take a moment to get situated with that, I'll wait...) (...still waiting...)
When I was 4, I was obsessed with my record player. One of my favorite records was Little Marcy. Little Marcy was a singing puppet who sang in a puppet like voice. As a result of listening to Little Marcy, my parents decided that I, too was starting to sing in a puppet like voice, as opposed to my not unsimilar every day 4 year old voice, and this obviously concerned them greatly, so they took away my Little Marcy record. I think they intervened just in time, as they were surely concerned about my future singing career. And we all know how far THAT has gotten me in life.
Oh what, you haven't heard about my singing career? About my debut album that came out when I was 12 years old, "On Life and Love, What I Learned the Hard Way?" There was some fantastic vocal crooning on that one, but looking back, I think maybe it didn't do so well because people are generally insulted at the idea of being told how to survive horrible breakups and heartaches by a 12 year old. I mean, who was I kidding, what did I know at the age of 12? Certainly not half as much as I knew by the age of 16, when my follow up album came out, "Now That I'm Older." I still haven't figured out why that one didn't do much better; On the cover, I am wearing red sequins and feathers, and half hiding behind a haze of fog or smoke, it's hard to tell which, with a serious expression on my face suggesting that I am too focused on the music to smile. (I still think the track "Why you wanna treat me this way?" had Grammy gold written all over it.)

-XOXO,

1 comment:

Derek said...

I've always enjoyed Michelle's singing - but if I ever let on that I'm actually listening, then she usually stops.